Thursday, September 14, 2006

SysML and an example from RUP

Hi everyone

I'm so excited to make this post as it's the first one in my first blog.You know, I was thinking what I should really start with; Database, C# or something not technical as I'm at the beginning. But then I decided to start with something that I love most, RUP.Well, this one is not purely about RUP. But the sample that I'm gonna use here is from RUP.
Here we go...
SysML (System Modeling Language) is a Modeling Language proposed by OMG (the consortium that has developed UML) and its specification has been developed by many companies including IBM.Yes, you might say it’s a sort of extension to UML and you are right. I believe soon or late it will become the next famous modeling language.But you may ask why OMG has proposed a new Modeling Language? What is the UML’s weakness?Well, I suggest you to read a 3-parts article from IBM's developerWorks web site to figure that out. But to keep you excited I give you an example from RUP:
In RUP’s Inception phase, there is a workflow named Understand Stakeholder Needs. There the System Analyst has a few tasks to do - which involve stakeholder as well - to understand requirements by collecting information.As you might be able to see from the RUP's guideline, there is a task named Manage Dependencies that has a few output artifacts including Use-Case Model and Supplementary Specifications.In use-case model you can only model the functional requirements of the customer. The non-functional requirement (i.e.: Performance) has to be documented in the Supplementary Specifications Document.But in the SysML - as you may read in the article - there is a diagram named Requirements that allows you to model both types of requirements. So you have a single place to look at your requirements and manage them.
That's it for the first post.
I appreciate your comments and feedbacks, a lot. Please let me know how much this post was helpful to you.

7 comments:

Brandon Teoh said...

Good job.

Anonymous said...

It's exciting, so I should learn it.
thanks for Ur comments. I'm sure it will be so useful both for U and us(I mean Blog writting).

Unknown said...

Thanks Amin,
I sure do learn from you...

Anonymous said...

Salam Jeegar,
I'm so excited of your blog.
thanks for intresting comment.
But i think tools play important role around any modeling language or software developement methodology.
Some ppl say good things about AUP(Agile Uinified Process), is there any utility to collect/manage/model/... requirements and ... in it's guidelines?
So what aboud SysML ?

Unknown said...

RUP is a process toolkit that must be tailored to fit your specific project's objectives and Agile RUP is one way to do that.
So regardless of the way you use RUP in your project, you can put IBM Rational Toolset in action.
Another tool in this area is the Microsoft's new team server, Microsoft Team Foundation Server.
Soon I'm going to post an item in that matter and the way you can use RUP along with it.

Anonymous said...

Mer30 Amir,
shenaakhti poste ghabli maale ki bud ?
un anonymous Hassan ( Hamzehloo ) bud.
mer30 age raaje be MS TFS yekam towzih bedi.
thanks jeegar!

Unknown said...

Thanks Hassan for dropping by. It’s good to hear from you.
Well, as I mentioned, I’m going to write about TFS soon.
Briefly, it’s the Microsoft’s first step – which is a great one - toward providing an integrated toolset for team development efforts.
Visual Studio was a great tool for developers. But it was only for developers. There was no way (or I better say easy and manageable way) to associate other development’s artifacts like database artifacts, design and architecture diagrams, requirements, and test-cases to the code.
Now using VS 2005 and TFS there is.

PS: I appreciate your comments. I really do. But please write them in English so other friends or blog’s visitors can take advantages of your questions and comments.